Monday afternoon

Haven’t been to town for a couple of weeks and so we are a bit overdue.  Supplies running out.  Milk, fresh veggies, that sort of thing. 

“What are we gonna have for dinner?  I’m down to re-runs and chicken.”

“I’d sure like some of that calm chowder you make.  Wanna get clams?”

So, off we went yesterday down to the little lagoon right behind our house.  It is a steep climb down about 75 feet at a 40 degree angle and we use strung ropes to help us get up and down.  The lagoon dries when the tide is about half way out but, at this time of the year, half way is about as far as it goes.  Our window for harvesting started at 3:00 and ended at 4:30.

The wind was blowing overhead at about 30 and the wind turbine whined in the near distance during the whole time.  It was the sound of money in the bank and the bank was our batteries.  They didn’t top up but they were sufficiently raised to allow for the day to be illuminated and run electrically without having to use the genset.  That’s several hours of  two computers, almost a full day (winter light) with some lights, all the little ‘chargers’ of small devices and, of course, the water pump, the DVD player and a few small fans. 

We went down with two five gallon buckets and a clam rake.  Two dogs carrying a toy each optimistically joined us.  Usually the lagoon means ‘play and swim and fetch’ time for them but today they were ignored.  Well, as much as two dogs with throw-toys can be ignored.  I dug.  Sally picked.  And we threw the odd thing for them.  And within a half hour we had enough clams to make a very hearty and voluminous batch of clam chowder.  It would be enough for three meals.

But the sea had kindly offered up another gift – this time of kelp.  There was a loose carpet of sea weed strewn about and so we scooped up a few more bucketfuls of that for the garden before breaking for tea.  We heaved ourselves up the hill picking our way carefully and using the ropes for assistance while carrying heavy buckets and hand tools.  You know, like Sherpas only with much more grunting and heavy breathing.   

When we got to the house, the raven was waiting for his usual afternoon treat and we obliged him.  Lately, we have taken to feeding him by hand.  It is not easy to approach a wild raven but, over the past few weeks, we can get close enough that he takes items from the palm of my hand.  It is pretty neat.

Sal made tea and we sat in the sun watching the clouds shoot by and the odd boat shoot by faster.

“Why tell me this?”

Dunno.  Pretty ordinary day out here in paradise but I thought you’d like to hear about it.

2 thoughts on “Monday afternoon

  1. Hey, thanks for posting photos. I liked hearing about your "ordinary day." Just don't get too excited about birds, like, say, a raven. If you do, I won't believe your other post about how you don't get excited about natural fauna.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.