- Grandson born. Healthy and happy. Cute as a bug’s ear. Mom and Dad doing fine. Truly a beautiful thing……
- Sally and I still chugging along. Healthy-ish and happy. Together 47 years and all of it bliss (for me). Sal says “50/50 ain’t bad”. I’d sign up for another fifty years in a heartbeat. Sally non-committal. But we’re talkin’- I may have to sweeten the pot…. ……….also a beautiful thing.
- No power outages in fifteen years. No water restrictions. No roadblocks. No line-ups. Hard to have a traffic accident when you don’t drive…..
- No traffic jams in fifteen years either (out here, anyway). No bridge tolls. Less driving stresses. Don’t have to watch my life pass in front of me as I sit at a screen.
- No sirens ever. Generally blissfully quiet.
- total lack of intrusive TV screens or ‘announcements’ everywhere (what a blessing)
- Most frequent visitors: whales, ravens. seals and herons.
- Little to NO life-style related stress either (trying to make money, keep to schedules, obey rules, meet deadlines).
- Everywhere I look, it’s beautiful.
- No gangs. No shootings. No crime. No drug addicts. No homeless. No police screaming or shooting. The most authoritarian behaviour is from the ferry loading crew (who are actually great).
- Fewer bills of any kind. No real financial pressures.
- Less government intrusion.
- Friendly neighbours.
- Variety and interest in everyday activities. No boredom. Motorcycle running.
- Fantastic seafood, natural and self-grown food. Great meals. Clean air.
- Schedule set by the season, not by the minute.
It’s all good. Real good. But I’ve been thinking a lot…..things are ‘up in the air’ for me……I see CHANGE coming. I see change already here. The crooked Liberals are out of government but the nincompoop NDP are in. Politics everywhere is getting worse. Trump is like a dystopian, nightmare-kinda-change agent already happening but Mexico is going all to Hell-in-a-handbasket as well. Trudeau is a shirt-less lightweight leading by cliche. Central America being taken over by drug cartels. Russia looming. Europe struggling. China is quietly invading Canada by economic means – they are simply purchasing it.
Canada’s current economy is looking good (which is a change) but is threatened by our friendly neighbour to the south (which is another change – they used to be dominant and selfish but not mean and crazy). North Korea looms as another large and deadly change-agent. Immigration is rapidly changing the cultural landscape.
First Nations are the sanest voice in the country.
Age is now an issue for me. Me being 70 is officially old. That will bring changes for me. Already has.
Bottom line: I am still living in interesting times. And ‘what to do about it’ still comes up for me. What, exactly, am I supposed to do about it?
Well, we have established a beautiful, wonderful home-base. That’s good. We have friends and family. That’s great. We are not deprived in any way and so that is HUGE. And we are happy and healthy. So, WE are taken care of…….
And we are here for them……so, THEY are also taken care of to a large extent if Teotwawki or the Zombie Apocolypse happens (which it likely will someday).
But is that enough? Is that life in its entirety? No. No, it is not. So we have added writing books and travelling to the recipe and that helps…..but is it enough…..?
No. Those ‘fun’ additions are for us. There is something more to be done. And that is why I am writing….I feel change coming on….I feel as if I have to respond to it – whatever it is. I feel we still have ‘work’ to do for others while here….like building community or protesting evil or working towards something……
…..anyone else feel this weirdness? Anyone know what the hell I am talking about?